Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Day of the Girl

It's official! International Day of the Girl. Doesn't it sound just like music in the ears? To me it most definitely does. October 11 is marked in my diary for good!

It made me think back about my days in Zimbabwe and all the hardships I faced (and still do) because of being a girl and the fact that my father didn't feel I was worthy enough. All that I went through makes me who I am today, and I appreciate it, because I wouldn't have this blog and the wonderful readers who stimulate me to do more and keep on writing. And the past few days at school we have been discussing about stereotypes, the significant abortion rate of girls in countries such as China for example and other such topics in many of our subjects. My classmates and I were horrified at some of the stories we came across and shocked that this still exists. 

Other than that I am glad that they have finally come to an accord to making this day official. To me it's a sign that there is a sort of awareness going on about the importance of the Girl Child, and though I would have loved seeing this day a lot earlier, I'm glad they didn't put it off the agenda.

 


Do you have a comment about this? Or a little short story or poem that you would like to share with the other readers of this blog? Send me an email at suitcasefullypacked@gmail.com and I will publish your story/poem/comment/thought on my blog on the 11th of October! And yes, you may be male too!

PS: Do wyou want to know more about this day, take a look here : Day of the Girl Website

You can follow Suitcase Fully Packed on Facebook and Twitter.




1 comment: