Alright! Here we are, in the sunny Cyprus! I apologize I
can’t greet you in Greek, but it took me an hour to get the pronunciation of
"Good morning" right. This European Youth Conference is one with an interesting
theme: Social Inclusion of youth with a migrant background. Day 1 was filled
with speeches. Motivating speeches to be precise.
We started off with a film produced by the students of
Cyprus University of Technology. It’s called “The Healer” and it’s about a
young man, from Uganda, who is studying in Cyprus. He was telling the story of
his stay in Cyprus and how he has integrated. Perfect for the theme as you can
see.
We proceeded with the speeches, of which I have collected
some inspirational quotes for you. Be INSPIRED!
“We are young people with the voices and energy to influence youth policy making.” Mr. Andreas Vyras (Presidett Administrative Board of Youth Board Cyprus)
“Solidarity: one of the principles
that built Europe. Let’s keep it like that.” Mr. George Demosthenous (Misnister of Education and
Culture)
“Young people are hit harder- or even hardest with the crisis in Europe. Those with a migrant background too. Look at the levels of youth unemployment and other factors. But one thing is clear: our mission does not end when this conference comes to a close. It goes on.” Ms. Androulla Vassiliou (Commissioner for Education, Culture, Multilingualism, and Youth)
“We can reach more by working WITH young
people, than FOR them.” Mr. Peter Matsajic (President of the European Youth Forum)
“Information alone doesn’t do the trick. The key is knowing how to use this information you have been given today.” Mr. Nicos Trimiklinotis (Associate Professor of Law and Sociology, University of Nicosia)
I most definitely felt like I could conquer anything when I
left that conference room! Apart from that, we also started on our workshops. I
am in the workshop about Education and Language, which I have to admit, absolutely
fits in with my experience as a young person with a migrant background myself.
So needless to say, everything they talk about, I remember from my own day to
day life.
We ended the day with a tour of the old city of Nicosia. It
felt great heavenly to actually be able to walk around at night without! a
jacket on at night. Our guide was amazing and so were the buildings of the
city. I might as well just go and be our history teacher myself at school with
all I learnt yesterday in the tour!
My colleague and I are very good friends now with a diverse
number of people. People from the UK, Austria, Holland, Slovakia… this
conference gives young people a platform to meet up with amazing partners in crime people who are adventurous
and energetic to achieve a lot in life. And all you can do is get more
inspired. Speaking of which, I sense a lot of ideas keeming in my head….







No comments:
Post a Comment