Saturday, July 26, 2014

Clothes speak for themselves




When I was younger, picking out my outfits of the day was something I secretly enjoyed doing. But despite this, there were some items I would avoid like the plague. I remember my mum used to ask me why I didn’t like a certain jacket or skirt, only to come up with excuses such as “ It makes me look like a character from a cartoon I hate!” or “No one else wears such clothes, and so neither am I.” 

Childish, of course. But as I grew older and started entering the inevitable teens in Zimbabwe I began to wear clothes that I felt society would accept. I rarely chose an outfit based on the fact that I liked what it was comprised of. 

Now that I am a tad older, I can say that this mentality has changed (heaves a sigh of relief). I think this comes with the realization of what the clothes you are wearing can say about you. If you are not wearing clothes that you genuinely love, then you are at the same time giving a wrong picture of yourself to society. At the same time, I am also learning to come out for what I love fashion wise.
 
If there is anything that is more important to me, then it is walking the streets with a sense of comfort and happiness, and in what else can you do this than in clothes that you love? And trust me, that isn’t just an excuse to go shopping and hoard on clothes. Clothes just speak for themselves, you know.
 

FOLLOW MOTHER OF NATIONS

 

No comments:

Post a Comment