Sunday, November 10, 2013

Society says so

image source
 There are a few unruly truths I have come to know of during the 18 years that I have been on this planet. Gone are the days when you didn't have to think twice about making decisions. I can't help but notice how as we grow older, society seems to shape people's destiny and future.


Recently, my single mother told me of her experiences whereby friends often ask her is she is still single, and then comes the jaw-dropping question: "Why is that?"
Now I am definitely no society saint , but despite this fact, my conscience starts flickering a red light with this scenario. The way I interpret this interrogation is that society expects single mothers to have a man in their lives, because otherwise it is just not normal? Not fitting to the expectations of society? I was irked, to say the least.

Its not just single mothers who may get to hear this, the unwritten rules of society seem to be gaining ground. The worst thing about them is they fool you into believing what they portray and by the time you realise what you were doing the whole time was pleasing society, and not yourself.  By the time this is realised, its usually too late to clean the slate entirely. Lose hindsight and you can watch your dreams wither away.

 Stuck between society and your own will? The rules are clear: Forget what society says. 'I' is the most important letter of the alphabet. Please that person and you won't suffer from sleepless nights.

But then again, isn't that easier said than done?

FOLLOW SUITCASE FULLY PACKED

No comments:

Post a Comment